Virtual Desktops are a blessing for those users who want to manage their cluttered desktops on Windows using a program or software which can help you to open multiple desktops virtually on Windows 7. Today, in this article I am going to guide you on how to get Virtual Desktop on Windows 7 without straining your wallets.
WindowsPager is one of the oldest tools for creating Virtual Desktop on Windows 7. It is very well integrated with Windows 7. The best thing about it is that it’s open source software. After installation it allows you to create 4 Desktops or 4 Workspaces.
- It works on Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows Vista.
- It runs on both 32-bit and 64- bit operating system.
- It is very small in size (550kB) and therefore you could easily run it from any USB drive.
- It allows you to drag and drop application to respective desktop.
- To shift to another desktop you have to press: (Windows Key + Desktop Number) Example to see Desktop 2, I will Press “Win + 2″.
Download Page: Please download WindowsPager from here.
Sysinternals’ Desktops is yet another tool that could be used to create multiple desktops on Windows. Please note that although its available free of cost, however its not open source. All you have to do is to download the zip file from the link given below in Download Page. After download is complete, please unzip the file and place it at a defined location. After this run the application. While running the application for first time. It will prompt you a window wherein you need to add your hotkey modifier (Alt or Shift or Control or Windows) and Desktop Specfier (Number or Function). You can select it as per your convenience.
In case you do not want to open windows using the hot keys then all you need to do is to click on the Desktops Icon in system tray, Select the option that says select desktop. After this it will show you a thumbnail displaying the four windows.
To be honest Sysinteral’s Desktops is equivalently good as compared to WindowsPager and other apps, the only problem being that when you are loading the desktop for the first time it takes a long time to load, although later it becomes instantaneous.
Download Page: Please download Sysinternals’ Desktops from here.
nSpaces is one of the best freeware softwares available in the market for creating virtual desktop in Windows 7. The best feature about it is that it supports as many desktops as you want, that’s why its named as nSpaces, by default the number of desktops is set to four.
- It creates multiple desktops on your computer (obviously).
- It allows you to open different apps or programs on different virtual desktops, which avoids making your desktop look cluttered.
- It also allows you to name each desktop or space using a different tag, like if you are at work then you could add a tag “Emails” to the virtual desktop where you are using your email, and at the same time you could name a tag “MS Office” wherein you are using MS Office and MS Excel. Using this you could easily switch your spaces as and when required.
- It also allows you to change wallpaper and background color of your virtual space.
- It also enables you to protect your space using a password. This feature will be beneficial if multiple users are using your machine.
- It has a wide range of hot keys that could be used to switch or create new spaces.
Download Page: Please download nSpaces from here.
VirtualWin is yet another application that allows you to create multiple desktops at free of cost. The best feature about VirtualWin is that its compatible with various versions of Windows Operating System
- It works on Windows NT, Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows Vista.
- It creates multiple desktops on your computer, be it a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.
- No installation is required for this, all you need to do is to download it and run the app.
- It provides a customizable system tray icon.
Download Page: Please download VirtualWin from here.
So this was all about how to create virtual desktop on Windows 7. Please feel free to share your suggestions and feedback in the comments section below.