Outlook 2010 is a very nice product from Microsoft, for Windows users. It is the best email client program available in the market. Its classy look, flawless features and the tight integration capability with exchange server are the things that make it the best email client. Another wonderful feature that it has is that it allows you to check your Gmail emails or yahoo emails on outlook.
At times you may find a need to Export Contacts from Outlook 2010. Reasons can be many may be you want it for some documentation purpose or maybe you want to upload your contact list to some other email program like Gmail, Yahoo etc.
Generally, the best way to export contacts from outlook 2010 is by exporting them to a CSV file. If you are not aware of what a csv file is then I must tell you that a CSV file is a simple text file with comma as a delimiter character. CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. They have an extension .csv and can be opened with any text editor or Microsoft Excel.
Exporting Contacts from Outlook 2010 to a CSV file:
- First of all open Outlook 2010.
- Navigate to the “File” Tab and Choose “Options”.
- In the Options select “Advanced”.
- Find the “Export” Category and click on the “Export” button there.
- Now an “Import Export Wizard” will open, select “Export to a file” and then hit the “Next” button.
- In the “Create a file type” option select the “Comma Separated values (Windows)” and click Next.
- Now Outlook will prompt you to select the folder to export from, here select the contacts folder that you want to export and click “Next”.
- After this for saving the exported file, click “Browse”, select a destination folder, and in the File name box, enter the name that you wish to use for the file.
- Click on the confirmation dialogs and then click on the “Finish” button.
Now, your contacts file will be saved on the path that you had chosen in the wizard. You can open it with Microsoft excel and use it.
Additional Tip on Transferring Contacts from Outlook 2010:
You can use this file for creating a contact list on Gmail, Yahoo mail or Facebook. You simply upload this file to the contact file uploading option and it will instantly create contact list.
One thing I would like to point out that if you want to upload this file to Gmail then in the step 6 select the file type as “Comma Separated values (DOS)”