Yahoo mail is the third largest email provider in the world just after Gmail and Hotmail, but I personally feel that it doesn’t gets the required attention and respect. So, when I had written the post on “how to configure outlook for Gmail”, I had already decided to write the same post for yahoo mail also. And today in this post I am going to cover the same.
So, before beginning with the topic I would like to tell you about the benefits of configuring outlook for yahoo mail. The first advantage is that you can see or rather check all your emails without visiting the web interfaces of the sites, this makes the email checking more faster and also consumes less bandwidth. Secondly, if you have accounts with multiple email providers then you can check all your emails at one single place. Thirdly you can also backup your emails in the form of “.pst” files and access them even without internet. Enough side talks, now let’s move to the point.
Steps to Configure Outlook for Yahoo Mail:
- Open the outlook and navigate to Tools > Account settings.
- In the Account Settings Window, on Email Tab click the “New” button.
- Now a new window named “Add New E-mail Account” will appear. In the form provided enter your name, email address and password. Click the checkbox “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” and click the “Next” button.
- In the “Choose Email Service” field select the “Internet E-Mail” option and click the “Next” button.
- Now comes the main part of settings. In the “Your Name:” text field enter your name, in “E-mail address” field enter your email address , In the “Account Type” dropdown select “POP3”, “for incoming server” enter “plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com” (without quotes) and in the “outgoing mail server” field type “plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com” (without quotes), in the “User Name” text field enter your full email address including “@yahoo.com” and for the “Password” enter your password. Check the check box that says “Remember your password”.
- Now click on “More Settings” button, and navigate to the “Outgoing Server” tab and there check the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” checkbox, check the “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” radio button, and make sure that “Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is unchecked.
- After this click on the ‘Advanced’ tab. Change the Incoming server (POP3) to 995. Check the option “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)”. Then, change the “Outgoing server (SMTP)” to 465 and Select ‘SSL’ in the drop down list. Click on Ok.
- Now on the “Internet Email Settings” page click “Next” and then “Finish”, after this close the “Account Settings” dialog and hit “F9”.
- Now Outlook will start fetching all your yahoo emails.
So, this was all about how to configure outlook for yahoo mail.