This post on how to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is dedicated to all my readers who insisted me to throw some light in this area. Before heading on to the process to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, I would like to make you well versed with advantages and disadvantages of rooting your Samsung galaxy tab.
Advantages of Rooting
- Rooting gives you full control of the phone.
- Rooting gives you the ability to change system files like Themes, Core Apps (maps, calendar, clock, etc)
- Rooting enables you to run special apps like Tether Apps.
- Rooting enables you to back up your data using apps.
- Rooting also enables you to transfer your browser cache to SD Card from Phone Memory.
- Rooting also enables you to transfer your installed apps to SD Card from Phone Memory.
Disadvantages of Rooting
- Rooting voids the warranty of your expensive device. Please think multiple times before going for rooting as in case of any unfortunate event your device would not be protected under warranty and you might have to bear the expenses of repair, etc. If you don’t worry about warranty or in case your warranty is going to expire soon then please go ahead with rooting.
- If you root your device then you would not be able to get OTA (Over The Air) free software upgrade, although you could upgrade your software independently using apps and other programs after rooting
Procedure to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please make a backup of all files stored on your phone and SD Card memory card including contacts, SMS, MMS, music, videos, etc before proceeding as Rooting will delete all your data. Please ensure that your cell phone is 100% charged before starting the process. You will also need a Windows Operating System computer. In order to get a faster rooting please disable antivirus and firewall on your computer.
Please note that this rooting process will work only for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 WiFi-only (Retail) and Google I/O versions. If you are carrying rooting on any other version using below procedure then please take your own risk as these steps may or may not work for other versions.
Please follow below steps to root Samsung galaxy tab 10.1:
- First of all you will need to download the files on your computer. Please click on this Link1 or Link2 to download.
- After download is successful extract the zipped files into a folder and save it on your computer. Please take a note of the location of the extracted files.
- You will now be having following six files stored on your computer:
- hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip (Stock ROM)
- stockretail.tar.md5 (stock recovery)
- Now create a back up of 2nd File “hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip (Stock ROM)” by copying it on the internal storage of your Galaxy Tab
- After creating back up we can start with the installation process.
- Please install the USB Drivers for your Galaxy Tab 10.1 using first file listed above (GT-p7510_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0-Escape.exe)
- Now enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy Tab.
- Now “Switch Off” your tab and restart the Tab in “Download Mode” by holding the Volume Down and Power Button simultaneously.
- Please release the buttons as soon as you see two icons appearing on the tablet screen.
- Now to start the Download Mode pre Volume Down button.
- Run third file listed above (Odin3_v1.85.exe) on your computer.
- Now connect your Galaxy Tab to Computer using USB cable.
- Now click PDA Button in ODIN3 and load the file – “recovery-cwm_188.8.131.52-sam-tab-10.1.tar.md5”.
- Now go to “Option” button and check “Auto Reboot” and “F.Reset Time” only. Please leave remaining options unchecked.
- Now click Start button of Odin3.
- Please note that this will take some time (5-10 minutes) so please don’t reboot your tablet until Odin3 program displays a message telling that Process is successful.
- After this reboot your Galaxy Tab and disconnect it from your computer.
- Now turn off USB Debugging of your Galaxy Tablet.
- Now hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously in order to reboot your device in Recovery mode.
- Please release the buttons as soon as you see two icons appearing on the tablet screen. Now select Recovery option from the available two options.
- After this your tab will be started in Recovery Mode.
- Now select “Install ZIP from SD Card” and after this select “Choose ZIP from SD Card”. Now browse the location in your SD Card and select “Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip” and in the end confirm flashing the ZIP File.
- After above process Rooting is complete and now you can safely reboot your Galaxy Tab in Normal Mode.
So, this was all about how to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Please feel free to share your feedback in the comments section below.